Twilight Valley
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Vice in the Night (OPEN; Attn: Father Benton Black, ? Others)

2 posters

Go down

Vice in the Night (OPEN; Attn: Father Benton Black, ? Others) Empty Vice in the Night (OPEN; Attn: Father Benton Black, ? Others)

Post by DaevaDude Sat Jun 13, 2009 9:44 pm

Narration:

Father Benton Black had stayed only a very brief time at the Avalon, as it appeared a meeting of Kindred there was breaking up, at least one leaving without even acknowledging him. He was strong in his faith that he had something to offer this domain, and that in fact the guiding hand of the Lancea et Sanctum was needed here, but so far he'd failed to find a path into the local Kindred community.

Suddenly he became aware that he was so distracted by his thoughts that he'd been driving without any real awareness of where he had been going. He found himself in a run-down neighborhood, much different from the opulence he'd seen in the area around the Avalon. From all the signs written in Spanish in shop windows, it appeared to be an immigrant neighborhood. He saw a church of the Catholic faith, and noted it was in some degree of disrepair. He also noted the active presence of sin on these streets... people making exchanges throguh car windows, women in revealing dress offering themselves to passersby, men at corners selling jewelry and cartons of cigarettes and electronic devices stil in the boxes, no doubt obtained by illegitimate means.
DaevaDude
DaevaDude

Back to top Go down

Vice in the Night (OPEN; Attn: Father Benton Black, ? Others) Empty Re: Vice in the Night (OPEN; Attn: Father Benton Black, ? Others)

Post by FreshCK Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:10 pm

Black parked up outside the old church. Clearly it and the entire neighborhood had seen better days. Well haven't we all, now? It was a jarring contrast from the decadence of the Avalon, but familiar to him; he had spent many years of his life in places like this, the scenery may have been different but the desperation and decay were all too familiar.

Benton decided to head into the church to pray and clear his head. Perhaps then he could find the guidance he sought.
FreshCK
FreshCK

Back to top Go down

Vice in the Night (OPEN; Attn: Father Benton Black, ? Others) Empty Re: Vice in the Night (OPEN; Attn: Father Benton Black, ? Others)

Post by DaevaDude Sat Jun 13, 2009 11:17 pm

Narration:

The sign just to the right of the entry doors reads ST. FRANCIS OF ASSISI CATHOLIC CHURCH. Underneath is a small, lit sign announcing days and times for masses; a couple of the exchangeable letters have fallen off, and some others are crooked. Black is pleased to find that unlike some churches, this one continues the tradition of keeping its doors open through the night.

Inside, he finds the place more neatly kept than the outside would suggest. The stained wood, though worn, is carefully polished, the carpets worn but impeccably clean. The small lobby contains a coat room, an offering box, a bulletin board and a table holding racks of pamphlets and information, in both English and Spanish. To each side of the entry into the nave is a statue of the Virgin Mary. The one on the left is of a classic European design, while the one on the right is Mexican, including some more Indian stylings and depicting the Virgin of Guadalupe.

Inside, the dark-stained wooden pews are, like the woodwork in the lobby, well-worn but in good repair. Black sees a few people - homeless, to judge by their clothing and general appearance - sleeping on the back pews. One snoring wretch clasps an empty wine bottle.

As he walks down the aisle toward the pulpit, he notes that the left wing of the transept is used as an alcove holding votive candles, a few lit,while the right holds the confessional, both doors open. There is a woman, head bowed in prayer and covered by a veil, sitting alone at a pew just past the transept. As he approaches, he can hear her sobbing.

It is fortunate for Black that the idea a vampire cannot stand the sight of the Cross is merely a myth, else he'd no doubt be destroyed in his tracks by the huge crucifix hanging from the ceiling at the far end of the church. He notes that the depiction of Christ's suffering is unusually vivid, the Lord's expression one of sheer agony. Black also notes the stained glass windows, those on the left depicting the church's namesake, St. Francis, engaging in many of the deeds he was famous for: giving away all his belongings as a young man, ministering to the poor, using a nativity scene to instruct youth in the meaning of Christ's birth, talking with birds in a peaceful glade, a fawn asleep at his feet. Those on the right depict various of the martyred Saints; in some cases, the martyrdom is depicted, the detail unusually graphic.

Near the font, Black notes a lone nun in traditional habit, scrubbing at a spot on the carpet with a brush and rag.
DaevaDude
DaevaDude

Back to top Go down

Post by FreshCK Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:00 pm

Benton genuflects as he enters the church sits down at the pew near the sobbing woman.

"He's a good listener." he says, attempting to break the ice. "God I mean. Patient, he doesn't judge, always there ready to hear what you have to say day or night." He gives her a comforting grin and says, "Doesn't give a lot back to the conversation, but still a good listener. Now I like to think I'm pretty good in a conversation. I'm Father Benton, want to talk?"
FreshCK
FreshCK

Back to top Go down

Post by DaevaDude Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:34 pm

Narration:

Still bent over, the woman turns and looks at Black. At first she seems to have difficulty believing him to be a priest, but then she looks at the collar he wears.

From the color of the skin on her hands and what he can see of her features through the veil, Black can tell the woman is a middle-aged Latina.

She grasps Black's hand. "Pray for me, Father, for I have lost one son, and tonight I fear I may lose another! Please ask Jesus to save my older boy. He's a good boy, he's just angry and hurting."
DaevaDude
DaevaDude

Back to top Go down

Post by FreshCK Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:00 am

Black smiles sadly to the veiled woman, "I know the type. Anger and pain and wrath can blind one everything. But the Lord offers salvation to all his lost children, no matter how far they stray. All he has to do is accept it in time. Tell me about your son's troubles, maybe I can help."
FreshCK
FreshCK

Back to top Go down

Post by DaevaDude Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:22 am

"I know you can help, Father, by praying to Jesus and the Virgin to keep my boy safe." Even through the veil, Black can see the plea in her gaze.

"My younger son, Ramon, he got in a fight at a party, over some girl, an' three boys in a gang beat him up real bad, bad enough he never woke up. The police, they talk to the kids at the party, but nobody sees nothing. My older son, Miguel, some of the people from the party talk to him, though, so he knows who did it, an' he took off from his job early an' hasn't been home. I know what he's going to do, an' I'm so afraid for him."

She starts sobbing again, but in between sobs once again pleads "Pray with me, Father, and pray for my son to come home safe and not kill anyone!"
DaevaDude
DaevaDude

Back to top Go down

Post by FreshCK Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:11 pm

Father Black places a reassuring hand on her shoulder even as it shakes with renewed sobbing. He had indeed felt the same anger as her child when he was young and foolish. He had thought his anger would be like a shield and sword, that it would make him invincible but he had learned more than once that it just wasn't like that.

"Trust me, you and your family will be in my prayers, but I know how Miguel must feel. I'm afraid he won't see the light until it blinds him. I think I can help the young man if I can just talk to him. And if not, you have my word I'll drag him home to you kicking and screaming if I have to. Tell me, where can I find him?"
FreshCK
FreshCK

Back to top Go down

Post by DaevaDude Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:33 pm

She stares into Black's eyes and squeezes his hand. "The gangsters, the ones that killed Ramon, they hang at a club about four blocks west. A place full of whores, strippers... El Tarantula, is called. I went by, looked around, I didn't see him, but I know he's going to show up there, looking for those gangsters."

She shakes her head. "I hope you can find him and talk sense to him. Maybe he'll listen to a man of God, even if he disobeys his mother. Thank you, Father."
DaevaDude
DaevaDude

Back to top Go down

Post by FreshCK Tue Jun 16, 2009 5:59 am

"I'll do my best, I swear it. Do you have a picture of Miguel or something so I can know him when I see him?"

Benton begins mentally preparing himself. Remembering how stubborn and angry he could be as a young man, he knew that talking this Miguel out of whatever crazy thing he had planned wouldn't be easy. But the Lord gave him many gifts.

"I just realized. I don't even know your name."
FreshCK
FreshCK

Back to top Go down

Post by DaevaDude Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:42 am

"Teresa... Teresa Nievez," she replies, as she takes her billfold from her purse sitting beside her. She opens it and takes out a picture featuring her, two young men and a teenage girl, all smiling, taken apparently at the beach.

"This was taken last summer. Maria, she's a little bit taller, but Miguel, he looks the same as there..." she starts to cry again...."Miguel is the tall boy, then there's my Ramon...he was such a good boy." her voice trails off in tears.
DaevaDude
DaevaDude

Back to top Go down

Post by FreshCK Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:33 pm

Father Black examines the photo and tucks it into his inside jacket pocket.

"Be at peace, Teresa. I'll find your boy and bring him back to the light. Just try to rest."

He exits the church and rides off toward El Tarantula. Still feeling weak from his nights of suffering, Benton hopes that he'll be able to just talk the young man down. But if force is needed, he hopes the Lord will give him strength.
FreshCK
FreshCK

Back to top Go down

Post by DaevaDude Wed Jun 17, 2009 12:53 am

Narration:

It isn't hard to find the place. Even without the garish neon sign - a big spider in purple, flanked by the silhouettes of two women in red, all over the words EL TARANTULA in blue - Black would have noticed all the Latino men hanging around outside drinking beer from bottles. There were a few women as well, scantily dressed - possibly just to party, or possibly hookers, or strippers from within the club.

He does not, however, see Miguel.
DaevaDude
DaevaDude

Back to top Go down

Post by FreshCK Wed Jun 17, 2009 6:32 am

Benton parked across from the club and started looking around. This kind of place was a breeding ground for sin; Lust, gluttony, sloth, envy, and soon wrath. Deciding that the drunken men hanging outside probably would be less than helpful, Father Black started asking some of the women outside if they had seen Miguel that night. With the photo to show them and some cash in his pocket to help the more reluctant, he hoped he would get some information.
FreshCK
FreshCK

Back to top Go down

Post by DaevaDude Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:13 am

The first two women Black approaches take the offered cash readily enough, but one says they don't know the man in the picture, and the other says she knows him but hasn't seen him that night. That one also offers Black services in exchange for more money, saying "You aren't the only priest comes to me."

The third woman says "Yeah, he's a regular, comes here a lot, but he's not like his usual self. I asked him if he wanted a lap dance, and he didn't even seem to notice I was there. I think he's still inside."
DaevaDude
DaevaDude

Back to top Go down

Post by FreshCK Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:59 pm

Black thanks the woman for her help and suggests that she find a safer line of work, as places like this can turn dangerous quickly. He gives her the address of St. Francis and. heads inside the club. God willing, Miguel will just be sitting around seething. Working up the nerve to do something stupid.
FreshCK
FreshCK

Back to top Go down

Post by DaevaDude Wed Jun 17, 2009 9:10 pm

A big Latino guy with crappy prison tats all over his arms and neck stops Black at the door. "Cover," is all he says. He holds out his right hand and points with his left to the sign COVER $5.

At the door, Black can hear the loud music within.
DaevaDude
DaevaDude

Back to top Go down

Post by FreshCK Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:42 am

Black hands the man the cover charge and heads in, looking around the club for Miguel.
FreshCK
FreshCK

Back to top Go down

Post by DaevaDude Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:33 pm

Narration:

Inside, La Tarantula is loud, hot and hazy with cannabis smoke. Underneath that, the place smells of sweat and cheap beer. The music is pounding, the place is crowded, and the few lights are so bold as to make the rest of the place seem pitch black by comparison. Black sees two women gyrating on the stage, one leaning against the pole, the other pretending to caress the first while not quite actually touching her. The crowd is overwhelmingly male, but here and there he sees a woman sitting with one or more men, and in some cases gyrating in the lap of a man.

((ST Note: Father Black will need to make a Wits + Composure check at -2 to have a chance of finding Miguel))
DaevaDude
DaevaDude

Back to top Go down

Post by FreshCK Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:47 pm

Benton's feelings are conflicted as he enters the club. A part of him feels like he's coming home, another feels like this place is leaving an oily film on his skin, and the third just feels hungry. The crowd is dense and the lights and music are very distracting but he just tries to block it all out and find Miguel among the throng.

2009-06-18 15:43:18 Benton Black rolls 3 to find Miguel (10 Again) 10, 5, 2, 5 1 success
FreshCK
FreshCK

Back to top Go down

Post by DaevaDude Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:43 pm

Narration:

It takes Black a couple minutes, but finally he locates Miguel. He is sitting with two other men at a booth in the raised area around the outside edges of the bar. Black can't see the faces of the other two men, as they are turned away from the door, but he sees Miguel's gaze is fixed on a table down on the main floor, near the dancing stage. Four young men sit at that table, around several empty beer bottles and shot glasses.
DaevaDude
DaevaDude

Back to top Go down

Post by FreshCK Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:59 am

Benton is relieved to see he got here before the young man had a chance to do anything stupid, though he clearly already found the men he was looking for. He prays that he can get him to leave here peacefully as he makes his way through the crowd to where Miguel is sitting.

"Miguel? I'm Father Black. Your mother is worried about you. Can we talk?"
FreshCK
FreshCK

Back to top Go down

Post by DaevaDude Fri Jun 19, 2009 4:09 pm

When they hear Black say Miguel's mother is worried, the other two men with him chuckle. Miguel looks much less amused. He appears to be feeling a lot of emotions at the moment - impatience, annoyance, embarrassment - but amused isn't one of them.

He says "Go back to your church, Father. I don' need no priest."
DaevaDude
DaevaDude

Back to top Go down

Post by FreshCK Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:01 pm

Black grabs an empty chair from a nearby table and sits down with Miguel and the other two.

"Well from what I hear, you might want to keep me around in case you need your Last Rites. Now I know a thing or two about drunken bar fights. Woo, I could tell you some stories. I could tell you some loud stories that require me to gesture wildly, spilling drinks and drawing the attention of those guys over there whom I assume you are planning to jump at some point and spoiling your element of surprise or whatever you think you've got going for you. Or, you know, we could have a quiet, private chat. Your choice, really, but I love a good story."

At that, Benton leans back in his chair, hands behind his head and a smile on his face.
FreshCK
FreshCK

Back to top Go down

Post by DaevaDude Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:00 am

"Not much to say, Father. Something happened, the ones responsible gotta pay. They can ask God for forgiveness, but they get none from me."

Miguel's expression is one of anger and of resignation. Black can tell Miguel appears pretty set on his course of action.
DaevaDude
DaevaDude

Back to top Go down

Post by FreshCK Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:05 am

Black considers the young man's resolve. His anger was making him short-sighted. He couldn't see beyond his revenge and Benton tried to help him understand the consequences of his actions.

"Somebody once told me punishment is all a sinner deserves. And they sure are sinners. Problem is, if you take your revenge on them, you sin just as badly. So then somebody's got to punish you. Probably some of their friends. They could kill you tonight or their friends a week from now and then your mother has to bury another son. And if you do get your satisfaction, who's to say their friends and family will limit their revenge to you? What about your mother, your friends? Wrath blinds men, Miguel."

"I'm not asking you to forgive them; maybe you never will be able. I'm asking you not to follow them into sin. Go to your mother, mourn your brother and pray. Let the Lord see to the punishment they deserve, Miguel, and see to your family."
FreshCK
FreshCK

Back to top Go down

Post by DaevaDude Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:32 pm

"So, what, I should just let them get away with killing my brother? That what you're saying? And wait on the Lord to punish them" Miguel snarls, sarcastically. "Yeah, right. If I could count on that, they'd be dead right now instead of my brother. I don't give a shit what happens to them in the afterlife... they need to pay now!"
DaevaDude
DaevaDude

Back to top Go down

Post by FreshCK Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:12 pm

Black had pretty much run out of options, but he needed to get this boy home safe. He had promised it and he wasn't about to break his word. With guilt and faith failing it pretty much came down to bargaining. He pushed up his sleeves, revealing the tattoos on his forearms.

"I'll make you a deal, Miguel. Give it a day. Go home, sleep, pray, talk to your family, whatever. Just leave them in The Lord's hands for one night and if you still need your revenge this time tomorrow, I'll help you get it myself."

That was his last ploy. Hopefully Miguel would take the bait and go home. Then all I have to do is put the fear of The Lord into four drunken killers. What could be simpler?
FreshCK
FreshCK

Back to top Go down

Post by DaevaDude Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:49 pm

Miguel looks at Black's tattooed arms and back at his face. "What kinda priest are you?" he asks. "You really promise me that?"
DaevaDude
DaevaDude

Back to top Go down

Post by FreshCK Sun Jun 21, 2009 9:31 pm

Black grins at Miguel and says, "Wasn't born a priest, son. There was a time I probably would've made those guys over there look like choirboys. And ya know what happened to me? I broke nearly every bone in my body, tore muscle and tendon, and I was clinically dead. And it all happened in front of a church." He winces at the memory and shakes his head as he describes it. "Doctors said it was a miracle I survived. Messages don't get much clearer than that. God tried to get me to listen for years, and when I wouldn't he spoke up. So I know what I'm talking about. I don't want to see you go down that road, Miguel. I been there. But if you still want to chance it tomorrow, I'll be there with you and we can ask God's forgiveness together. Just...think on it tonight."
FreshCK
FreshCK

Back to top Go down

Post by DaevaDude Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:06 pm

He looks at the other guys. One of them shrugs, another says, in Spanish, "Your brother, your decision."

Miguel then looks back at Black. "Alright. One night. We'll see what the lord does to those sons of whores."

As he gets up to leave, he asks "So, where should I look you up tomorrow, Father?"
DaevaDude
DaevaDude

Back to top Go down

Post by FreshCK Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:04 pm

"Tomorrow night look for me at St. Francis of Assisi Catholic Church. Now go home, Miguel, and pray. The Lord hears all prayers."

Benton was relieved that at least he wouldn't have to drag Miguel home kicking and screaming like he said he would, but on the other hand he had to deliver 4 murderers to justice tonight. God give me strength.
FreshCK
FreshCK

Back to top Go down

Post by DaevaDude Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:46 pm

Narration:

Miguel and his friends get up and take off by the back way out. Black notices one of the guys that was with Miguel give the table with four young men a last glare before leaving.

The four young men are fairly rowdy, more than average even for the fairly raucous crowd here. One of them openly gropes the waitress who comes by with another round of beers, though in their possible defense she doesn't really appear to mind. All four are fairly young. One is beefy, with a square jaw, a thick neck and a tiny goatee. Another is as thin as the first was solid. He's got a shifty look about him, and for some reason Black can't help but be reminded of a weasel, or perhaps a jackal. The third - the one groping the waitress - smiles widely. He has a loud laugh and wears a lot of flashy jewelry.

The fourth young man looks perhaps a bit younger than the rest. He has a deeply pockmarked complexion. He doesn't smile, and at least when Black has been looking at him, he hasn't said a thing. He sits quietly as the others are rowdy and boisterious, only occasionally taking a sip from his bottle of beer. Black notices he has a lot fewer empties - only two - than any of the others.

Black has been around enough gangs to recognize this guy is probably the leader, and definitely the most dangerous of the bunch.
DaevaDude
DaevaDude

Back to top Go down

Post by FreshCK Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:49 am

Divide and conquer. He thought as he looked at the group. Still weak from The Lord's punishment, he wasn't sure he could take all four of them. Even in the best of times it would have been a challenge. My best bet is to split them up and scare them, convince them that there's worse things than prison.

Trying to size them up, he decided the weakest link in the group was probably the one with the jewelery groping the waitress. He'd probably drunk his fair share and would be relatively easy pickings. After the waitress left their table, Black tried to subtly wave her over.
FreshCK
FreshCK

Back to top Go down

Post by DaevaDude Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:52 pm

It doesn't take much time or effort for Black to catch the waitress' attention.

"What can I getcha, Father?" she asks. If she's surprised at seeing a rough-looking guy in a priest's collar in a crappy strip bar, it doesn't show.
DaevaDude
DaevaDude

Back to top Go down

Post by FreshCK Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:23 am

"What's the story with those guys over there?" Black asks indicating the four young men. "Are they always like that or is tonight special. The way you reacted to that one guy with the roaming hands suggests he's a repeat offender."
FreshCK
FreshCK

Back to top Go down

Post by DaevaDude Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:09 am

She shrugs. "No, tha's pretty much them. Tomas is always copping a feel, Antonio always drinks enough to kill mos' people, is jus' the way they are. People let them do their thing 'cause it's less trouble, an' the owner lets them do what they want, an' for exchange they take care of little things for him. Plus, they tip good."
DaevaDude
DaevaDude

Back to top Go down

Post by FreshCK Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:46 pm

The fact that everybody seemed to like or at least grudgingly accept these four was a setback. Black had hoped to get somebody to help lure one of them away from the others. That might still pan out, but a little more information couldn't hurt.

"Sounds like they're just everybody's buddies. What kind of little things do they do, though? I mean, they don't really look like plumbers, do they?"
FreshCK
FreshCK

Back to top Go down

Post by DaevaDude Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:50 pm

"Oh, no, don't get me wrong. They're trouble. Like I said, everyone lets them do their thing because otherwise there's trouble. Anyone screw with them, things can get ugly. But, if you don't screw with them, let them do their thing, things go a lot smoother. "
DaevaDude
DaevaDude

Back to top Go down

Post by FreshCK Sun Jun 28, 2009 1:32 am

"So maybe life would be easier if they weren't around. I know some people with the police, they could be off the street tonight, maybe for good. All I would need is a little help. Shouldn't put you in any danger. If you could get...Tomas, was it... to leave the club, just to go out back for a while that's all I would need. Flirt with him, let him think it's his lucky night and then just take a break or head home if you want. I'll take care of the rest."

This was it, he knew. He had all but spelled out his plan to this woman he had never met. She could help him or she could go to those thugs and tell them what he was up to. For now, everything was in God's hands.
FreshCK
FreshCK

Back to top Go down

Post by DaevaDude Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:24 am

ST Note:

This thread continues on the new boards,
here .
DaevaDude
DaevaDude

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum