Twilight Valley
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Revelation

Go down

The Revelation Empty The Revelation

Post by Premsyl Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:18 am

Ollie and Ryan arrive at Ryan's dorm room. Ryan's still pretty drunk. "Hey, man. Got a key?"

"Uuuhhh..." Ryan takes a moment to feel around his pockets. He managed to pull out a single key and holds it in front of Ollie’s face. "Here man."

Ollie just smiles, takes the key, and unlocks the door. He switches on the light and enters the room.

Ryan’s room looks surprisingly clean than it normally did. Likely it was due to the police investigation or something. Most of Ryan’s books are carefully stacked onto his table, along with some old broken electronics. Ryan just squints as light hits his eyes

"Alright, bro. Take a seat. I got something that'll make you feel better, but it's might be kind of intense. Just relax."

"Uh...huh..." He didn't seem to fully register what was just said, but he sits on his bed anyway

Ollie just seems to concentrate for a moment and all of a sudden Ryan snaps into full sobriety. What's more is that the air around them seems to be alive with energy that Ryan can feel quite tangibly.
Spoiler:

"What the? What the hell just happened?"

"What does it feel like just happened?"

Ryan looks around the room, trying to figure out what to say. "Well...I don't feel like I just drank myself half to death.. And everything is kinda... I dunno, Powered up or something?"

Ollie just grins enigmatically. It's the same big careless grin he's always wearing. He doesn't say anything for a minute, letting Ryan think about it. He pulls what looks like a hand-rolled cigarette from his pocket and lights it with a lighter. He puffs on it a few times, and then holds it out to Ryan. "Want some? This is a lot more mellow then the alcohol."

Ryan shakes his head. "No thanks, I'll pass." From the looks of things, he looked like he was about to freak out. "What’s going on?"

"Haven't things been fucking weird these last few weeks? I mean, someone mails you those books. Then all kinds of crazy cats show up in your life." He walks over to open a window He alternates between waving the joint around while he spoke and puffing on it. "Me. That crazy guy at the library the day I met you. Then we go to the weird museum. Then you fuckin get shot a few weeks later. Fuckin weird, right?" He walks over to Ryan's desk chair and sits down, swiveling to face Ryan.

'Yeah...But I got those books ages ago. Why is all this weird shit happening to me now?"

"You weren't ready to accept it then. Since then you've changed, am I right?"

"Changed?"

"I know you're confused, but bear with me man. You're doing great. Did you experience anything when you got shot? I mean, besides being shot of course. Like a vision? Anything?"

"Well...I think I went to purgatory for a while there. Not sure if I was dead or it was just my brain doing a mindfuck on me."

"While you were there you found a tower. You went inside. What happened in the tower?" Ollie just smiles knowingly at Ryan while he asks this question.
Premsyl
Premsyl

Back to top Go down

The Revelation Empty Re: The Revelation

Post by Premsyl Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:20 am

Ryan looked surprised that Ollie knew about that part. He didn't even mention that. "Uhh...I found this hammer and chisel and started chipping my name into this huge wall in the center of it. Everything vanished after I was done and I was back here...How did you know about the tower part?"

"Because I've had a vision just like yours. For me it was a giant book, every page was a playback of a significant event in my life. Then on the last page I signed my name."

"So, you were shot by some psycho as well?"

Ollie shakes his head "No. The Awakening reaches us all at different times, though it often occurs in extremely stressful situations like serious injury. It happened for me after the death of a loved one." He ashes joint on his cargo pants and rubs the ash into them. "You sure you don't want to hit this?"

"Awakening? Wha?" For some reason, that word just rang a bell somewhere in his head, but he had no idea why.

"Yeah. That's what it's called when a person's soul completes a journey to one of the five supernal realms and inscribes its name on the watchtower there. After that we are Awakened. Anyone who hasn't Awakened is considered to be asleep. Sleepers." He puffs on the joint again. "Am I making sense so far?"

"A little... Supernal realms, Watchtowers, Sleepers. I still have no idea what is going on"

"I know you don't. Just brace yourself, it's about to get equal parts weirder and cooler. You ready for the good news?"

"Uhhhh....This doesn't have anything to do with what your smoking, does it?"

Maybe it is the weed but Ollie starts to laugh. "Nah, dude. Lemme think of how to put this to you."

"What if I told you, straight up, that I cast a magic spell and sobered you up? That magic was the energy you felt in the air when I did it. That tonight at the club was a party organized by a wizard for other wizards. That was why the air was so energized there. That's what you said you felt coming from me at the Rage."

Ryan just looks at Ollie funny for a moment, kinda like he just grew seven heads and started speaking German and Spanish at the same time. "So, you’re saying you can use magic?" He said with skepticism in his voice. It would explain some things though

Ryan's look prompts Ollie to start laughing again. He quickly composes himself and looks at Ryan with some degree of seriousness. He mainly just looks excited. "That's EXACTLY what I'm tellin you, bro. And what's even better is so can you! We're both Awakened and being Awakened means that our souls have gained the power to influence the world around us."

"So, you’re telling me that the two of us, plus everyone at the Rage tonight can pretty much alter reality just like that?"

"Not everyone, no. Almost everyone in the shots contest, though. And a good number of others there tonight. The guy with the dreadlocks who's always there? He is."

“So, Zero and Ghoster can do this sort of thing as well?"

Ollie's smile drops off his face all at once when Ryan mentions Ghoster. "Yeah, Zero can.. Ghoster could too."

Ryan noticed the way Ollie mentioned Ghoster. "Could? What happened?"

"It's a long story. There was a fight at the park. He and another one of us were surrounded by, well, zombies. I tried to help him, but I couldn't." He shakes his head, looking down then takes a long drag on the joint. Then he looks back up at Ryan, smile beginning to return. "Let's focus on you, though. Alright?"

Ryan was, well, shocked. He never expected zombies to start running around Sacramento. Though he though someone else would have seen something. There was too much information running through his mind, for now he would just settle with finding out more about what happened to him and what he became. "Ok, we’ll talk about Ghoster later."

"So how are you taking all this? Are you ok?"

"Well... Its alot to take in. I mean, it's not everyday you find out that you have magical powers, or anything like that."

"Totally, bro. I know what you mean...." He's quiet for a minute as he takes a couple more puffs of his joint before setting it down. "So you said the place you went to was a lot like purgatory? How so?"

"Well, the whole place was dead. It looked like some sort of mashup of several battlefields through history. There were alot of jewels and rare metal in the ground and all the fortifications. Broken weapons and armor, I think I saw a few ghosts or something like that in the distance a few times until I hit that tower."
Premsyl
Premsyl

Back to top Go down

Post by Premsyl Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:21 am

"The tower was made of a dull metal right? Like lead? Anything like that?"

"Yeah, lead and other gems as well."

"We call that place Stygia. It's the realm of death and finality and also of matter and the stuff that things are made of. Does that seem in line with what you saw?"

Ryan nods. "It felt like everything had ended and moved on to someplace else."

"Yeah. That's important, ya see? There are five realms like that. Stygia is just one of them. The realm we Awaken to dictates what kind of mage we are to become."

Mage. For some reason, that was a word he though was reserved for fantasy novels. Ryan nearly laughed, but as things were he forced himself to keep it down. "So, each realm we Awaken to determines what power we have?"

"The Supernal Realms are each ruled by certain energies. We call them Arcana. Being of a particular watchtower gives you a greater command over the magics that rule that realm. If your will is powerful enough, though, you can become skilled in any of the Arcana."

"So that means at first we only have power over what our Awakening realms power is? I think I get that."

"It's just like that, but usually our souls tend to call to at least one other Arcana when we awaken. You gotta understand that each Arcana is present to some degree in every realm. They are the stuff that the universe is made of, ya know? It's probably, like, your soul calls to one or two other Arcana that it particularly identifies with, ya know? I dunno. It's not always like that. Magic isn't science, ya know?" Ollie realizes he's saying 'ya know' alot. It's a stoner habit.

"I think I get it...So, what can I do? I mean, I really have no idea what I'm capable of."

Ollie seems to think for a moment. "Well... I don't really know how I can be sure. The ruling magics for your realm are Death and Matter. I don't practice any of those, myself. What I know, though, is that with Death you can communicate with ghosts in what we call Twilight. You can also influence shadows and shit, if I remember right. Matter lets you mess with the durability of stuff, and mold metals, make stuff stronger or weaker. I've heard some Moros can straight up make diamonds out of iron, but I've never seen it myself.. Oh yeah. Moros. That's what mages who Awaken to Stygia are called."

"Wow, that’s impressive. What about you?" Ryan’s curiosity was starting to get the better of him. He wasn't sure if this was rude or anything, but he really wanted to know

"I awakened to Arcadia. The watchtower of the Lunargent Thorn." Pride fills Ollie's voice. "It's a mystic place where anything feels possible, and you seem to know what's going to happen before it does. Does that make sense? Anyway, time seems to speed up and then creep forward and even to reverse completely. I looked up and saw a tower made of thorny bushes, flower blossoms, and moonlight. The Arcanum that rule that realm are Time and Fate."

"I can control the nature of luck and chance for myself and those whom I choose to. I can give fortune or take it away. I can also look back in time, if the conditions are right, and even divine the future if I ask someone the right questions. I've also gained skill in the Life Arcana. I can heal wounds with my will, and make myself stronger or faster, or someone else weaker." Ollie grins. "That's just to start, too."

"That’s alot of power there." Ryan said, sounding impressed. "So, what happens to me now?"

"Tomorrow you'll go back to the museum where we went before. That's an Awakened headquarters here in Sacramento. You'll be assigned to a mentor who can teach you how to control your new powers."

The museum was a headquarters for the Awakened? Now that was new to him. Might explain why they were busy with his books. "Ok. Back to the Museum tomorrow and figure out what I can do exactly." He said that just to mentally write that to memory. "So...I hate to ask this now. But what happened at the Park with Ghoster?"

Ollie sighs. "There's been a lot of crazy shit happening in Sacramento, man. You've got no idea. Ghoster and another mage, Logos, were in Granite Park investigating some weird activity out there. They got jumped by zombies, and Ghoster called me to help. I ran out there, with two others with me. Both newly Awakened, just like you. We got there to late to save them, though. We tried, but there were too many zombies."

"Logos got ripped apart before my eyes, then Ghoster got slashed up so bad he couldn't even stand. I was pulling Ghoster out of there when one of the people with me tripped, and they took him apart."

"When that happened I became cursed. You see I'd been tasked by the head honcho at the museum to teach that guy what I'm teaching you. But the call came before I could tell him anything. I told him to stay, but he wouldn't... His name was Guy."

"When he died the terms of the task she'd given me were violated, and because of the nature of our agreement, you could say, I became cursed. I could barely even stand up. Did I mention it was pouring rain the whole time?"

That was alot to take in. Somehow, Reality-altering powers didn't sound so great when your trapped in a real life Dawn of The Dead movie. "Shit. That’s....Shit."
Premsyl
Premsyl

Back to top Go down

Post by Premsyl Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:22 am

"I looked back and saw what looked like a no-win situation. I was cursed, and I couldn't help them. The other one who came with me, a girl named Valkyrie, was trying to pull Ghoster away from the zombies, but he was just so torn up and then she slipped. I saw them coming for them. So... I ran."

"I figure you'd probably hear about it anyway, but yeah. I ran away. I left them there. Ghoster died of his wounds... Valkyrie, managed to get away. Thank goodness."

"So yeah, there it is..." He sits there, waiting for what he anticipates will be disgust.

Ryan just stayed silent after Ollie finished. It looked like he was about to say something a few times, but he didn't say anything.. After awhile, he managed to say. "....Damn."
"Yeah, right? Crazy shit."

"So uhh... Anything else you wanna know?"

"Just one more thing before my head explodes, What’s with all the weirdass names?"

"They're usually called 'shadow names.' You see, with certain Arcana it's possible to effect someone anywhere in the world just by knowing them. How well you know someone effects how easy it is to cast on them without being around them. Knowing someone's True Name gives someone with those powers the ability to cast spells on the holder of that name with ease."

"Scary. Do I have to come up with one now, or wait till tomorrow?"

Ollie shrugs "It's up to you. Why, you got something in mind?"

"Not at the moment...I might come up with something eventually."

"You're taking all this really well. I was expecting to have to pull out some tricks to show you. I guess the idea just sounds right to you doesn't it? The idea of Awakening, using your will to make shit happen, magic. It all just resonates in your soul and makes sense somehow. That's how it was for me, eventually." He laughs lightly. "It might be different for everyone, though."

"Well, I have been staring at Occult shit for months trying to figure out those books incase that lead to anything. Besides, no one normal can make someone instantly stone-cold sober in a few seconds"

"Ah, that's easy. The truly amazing stuff. That's where magic is. At my level of understanding I can turn a tree into a swarm of locusts and then control the locusts as I see fit. I haven't done anything like that yet, but I know I can. I just have to want it."

"Once again, that sounds like alot of power you have there."

"You think?” He grins. "I'm a fucking apprentice."

"Apprentice? You mean that’s just low level shit or something?!" Now THAT was surprising.

"That's right. I'm getting stronger, though. Increasing my understanding of how Time works. It's almost scary what masters can do."

"With what you can do now, It does sound scary"

"Fuck that, you're right. It is scary."

"You gotta be careful, though. Magic doesn't come without it's rules and catches."

"With zombies running around killing everyone, I'm guessing this isn't free Rulership over mankind sort of deal."

"Sleepers, remember what that means? People who can't do magic. Their souls are tainted by what we call the Abyss. Pretty much Hell, except even wackier and scarier. When Sleepers witness magic their disbelief taints the spell with the Abyss in their souls, and sometimes the spell will backfire. It's called Paradox, and it's always a possibility when you're blatantly throwing around magic."

"If not for that, it's likely that mages would rule the whole world. I mean, why not?"

"Hmm, I can see your point...So what the hell is the Abyss exactly? Some sort of hell dimension or a place were things from HP Lovecraft stories live?"

"I haven't read any of those, actually. It's like an unreality where shit exists just to be fucking evil and bad. Awful demons and creatures that just don't make sense in any real world way. It's just scary, man. There's no real official story on where it came from, but there are some theories. It sits between the Fallen World - which is our plane of existence, and the Supernal Realms - which is where the watchtowers are. Where we get our magic from. We have to pull our magic across the Abyss."

Ollie can hardly believe he knows all this shit, but it all seems to just come springing to mind. He's delighted in the depth of knowledge he seems to have when he just puts his mind to it.

Sounds like something from a H.P Lovecraft tale. He though as he listened to Ollie talk. He was surprised he knew this sort of thing, considering he just though he was a pot smoking skater boy.

"Hey, man. I bet you still got questions but it's getting late. I gotta get out of here. Tomorrow I'll get you all taken care of. If I don't meet you at the museum myself then I'll at least let them know you're coming. I'll call you, ok?" He stands up, stretching. It had been a long talk.

"Yeah. I sorta need to digest all this info then start freaking out about what’s happened to my life all the sudden later on." It sounded like a joke, but Ryan was aware that the full shock of what happened won't sink in until Ollie left and he was lying in bed. "I'll see you later then."

"Heh. Just think, man. This is the best thing that's ever happened to you, I guarantee it. You should be stoked, man. I'm stoked for you." He grins. He gathers up the roach from his joint. "Goodnight, Ryan."

"Night Ol" Ryan said as he leaned back onto his bed.

Ollie lets himself out of the dorm and heads back to his Apartment. He wonders if Ryan would be able to sleep tonight.
Premsyl
Premsyl

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum