Twilight Valley
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Got a Hill and a Hole to Dig

+2
Kai
tsameti
6 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Got a Hill and a Hole to Dig Empty Got a Hill and a Hole to Dig

Post by tsameti Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:58 pm

Now, where the Beaver Cleaver should we start diggin' from? Ruby puzzles. Straight down's a fool's errand, roof'll cave for excitement of havin' company after so many centuries. Best take it at a diagonal...
Ruby paces around the girth of the hill.
It'd be bees knees if they could bump onto an outlyin' tunnel, but could it have killed these dummies to have put a door into their cave?

She sighs, hoping that the Captain might have some suggestions.
tsameti
tsameti

Back to top Go down

Got a Hill and a Hole to Dig Empty Re: Got a Hill and a Hole to Dig

Post by Kai Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:27 pm

((I'm going to skip the die rolls, except one))
I need perception checks from both Ruby and Captain.
Kai
Kai

Back to top Go down

Post by Kai Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:34 pm

After looking at the hill for a while, both Ruby and Captain notice on thing. There's not just a lack of grass, but a lack of plant life, and any other base life forms on the hill. In fact, they feel an overwhelming desire to go somewhere else themselves.

Eventually they find an area on the east side of the hill area that looks to be a series of barely exposed stones, and it doesn't take much imagination to fill in the covered parts and imagine it to be a sandy covered archway.
Kai
Kai

Back to top Go down

Post by tsameti Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:36 pm

"Okay then. Now how did we miss this? We swept up and down this hill plenty of times already..." Ruby hems and haws, hands on her hips.

"And are you getting that unwelcome feelin'? Like the hill ain't happy we're on our way in? I swear, I could give it fifty fifty that soon's we pop th' cork we wake some ugly incarnation of ancient evil." She winks at the Captain, but her voice betrays that it's not much of a joke.
tsameti
tsameti

Back to top Go down

Post by shouldabeenadog Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:37 am

"Thats what the navy's for ma'am. Large holes in bad guys. And transportation on the high seas. And brute labor as called for. You've got shovels right? lets start digging."

He and the Crew get to digging out the archway.
shouldabeenadog
shouldabeenadog

Back to top Go down

Post by Kai Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:00 pm

It takes a while, and for some reason you want to start chanting in Farsi and watch out for Nazis, but the coolness of it fades as hands begin to blister and the initial adrenaline wears off. After several hours of digging, the crew finally comes to what appears to be a stone door, as the sand is cleared away, there are worn away runes and Atlantean Script. Though you can't make out much, there is one that parts can clearly be seen. " destroy the .... I must b... the monster If this door is .... closed i ca.. return in my new fo.. and was unable to de... it."
Kai
Kai

Back to top Go down

Post by shouldabeenadog Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:11 pm

"Destroy the tomb; I must bury the monster. If this door is not closed, I can't return in my new form, and was unable to defeat it. When is a time mage when you need one." Captain shakes his head.
shouldabeenadog
shouldabeenadog

Back to top Go down

Post by Kai Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:16 pm

((I want to point out that the number of periods does not necessarily represent the number of 'blanked' letters))
Kai
Kai

Back to top Go down

Post by tsameti Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:40 pm

Ruby sets down some bottled water for Captain and his crew. It wasn't very cool, but it was exactly what they needed now that the heat of day is beginning to bear down.

"We're really making good time!" She beams as she unrolls her brushes and tiny picks to painstakingly clean and uncover the stone archway and its script.

Seeing the runes Captain makes his best guess, and Ruby has to admit it's a pretty good one.

"You figure that's what it says? I think you're pretty close, let me just clear a little more dust first..."

The Mystagogues had taught her one or two tricks for reading carved script. Charcoal rubbing was a good one, so after the section of wall is as clean as possible, she presses a sheet of paper against the stone and rubs it down with the charcoal.

03-24 15:38:52 Ruby rolls 4 dice to Dex+Academics-1 (unskilled) 1 success

Hmmm... at least I managed to get the runes we could read already...
tsameti
tsameti

Back to top Go down

Post by Kai Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:48 pm

Ruby thinks the first part says "To destroy the Monster" not Destroy the Tomb, she also reasons that she doesn't think the "b" word is bury....There's also mention later of a "central" stone, but nothing else discernible.
Kai
Kai

Back to top Go down

Post by shouldabeenadog Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:25 pm

"So, do we open it now and risk annihilation, or do we go back home?" Cpatain asks it like a question, but his tone implies there is really only one choice.
shouldabeenadog
shouldabeenadog

Back to top Go down

Post by tsameti Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:53 pm

"Ain't nobody done nothing without risking their skin a little. All we got to do is pray that we're not doing somethin' stupid." She calmly states.

"We should probably call this one in real quick before we open it you know... if some monster goes on rampage it's best our folks know about it ahead of time. Ensign, you mind sendin' the text for me? Here's my phone, make sure Tyria and Starling get it and Wellmer likely would best be in the know too."

She tosses the cell gently to Ensign, and sidles up to Captain. "Let's get this puppy open."

She begins to check for handles or mechanisms or traces of magic that could get the door open.

Lord, please be with us today. By your Grace, let our feet carry us not into danger. Amen...
tsameti
tsameti

Back to top Go down

Post by shouldabeenadog Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:20 pm

"Yes Ma'am" She quickly thumbs the text, then casually throws the phone back to you.

"Let me put on my glasses first." Captain casts supernal Vision:
03-24 17:14:58Captain rolls 10 dice to Gnosis+Prime5 successes
2,3,1,9,2, 4,10,5,9,10, 5,9
"Thats better. Now, lets see what we can find. Captain begins looking for any plates or buttons to push or turn.
shouldabeenadog
shouldabeenadog

Back to top Go down

Post by Kai Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:51 am

Clearing away more dirt while poking an prodding around the door, there are 10 locks arranged in a circle on the outer edges, each bearing the mark of an Arcana in the following order starting at 12 o'clock
Fate, Time, Mind, Space, Death, Matter, Prime, Forces, Spirit, and Life

In the center of the door in some sort of turning mechanism, bearing the markings of each of the Paths in the following order starting at 12 o'clock
Moros, Obrimos, Thrysus, Acanthus, and finally Mastigos.
Kai
Kai

Back to top Go down

Post by shouldabeenadog Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:03 pm

"If a mysterious lock abstruct you. call on the mysterious guys who puts locks on their logos." Commander shrugs. "or in this case, gal"
shouldabeenadog
shouldabeenadog

Back to top Go down

Post by tsameti Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:25 pm

"Well now, it's the funniest thing. These locks look like they're set in an invocation cycle, except one pair of Arcana are right out of order." Ruby points to the Spirit Life pair, and then over between Death and Space.

"These two ought to be right over here."

"Course, this turnin' mechanism's actually got the same sequence as the locks have got. It's just turned right out synch."

"Those Arcana are ruled by Arcadia, Pandaemonia, Stygia, Aether, and the Wilds. Turnkey goes Stygia, Aether, Wilds, Arcadia, and Pandaemonia. So! Either it's as simple as turnin' our friend here and linin' 'em up, or there's some kind of hint we're meant to see from the Cycle bein' out of sequence."

"Anythin' occurrin' to you why they'd be out of order? Cuz I don't like the answer bein' as simple as all that."
tsameti
tsameti

Back to top Go down

Post by shouldabeenadog Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:31 pm

Captain:
Supernal Vision

"I am still getting over the fact that its alphabetical. Acanthus, Mastigos, Moros, Obrimos, Thyrsus. Beyond that, I've got nothing."
shouldabeenadog
shouldabeenadog

Back to top Go down

Post by tsameti Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:45 pm

"Well... oh you mean Alphabetical in our language? But this was written by natives a hundred or more years ago, with Atlantean script no less! It'd be one doozy a Time or Fate spell to make this any less than a coincidence... I think?"
tsameti
tsameti

Back to top Go down

Post by shouldabeenadog Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:59 am

The crew looks stoic in response.

Captain:
Supernal Vision
"Must be as simple as you say then. Lets move some pieces around. Ensign!"

Ensign snaps at attention::
"Sir!"

"Move those pieces to properly correlate with the locks!"

"Aye Sir! Moving handles to properly correlate with locks."

Ensign sets about pushing those blocks around.
shouldabeenadog
shouldabeenadog

Back to top Go down

Post by Kai Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:03 am

((I need to know exactly which symbol for paths ends up on which set of arcana))
Kai
Kai

Back to top Go down

Post by shouldabeenadog Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:08 am

Fate, Time, Mind, Space, Death, Matter, Prime, Forces, Spirit, and Life

Acanthus, Mastigos, Moros , Obrimos Thyrsus
shouldabeenadog
shouldabeenadog

Back to top Go down

Post by Kai Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:28 am

Does the symbol end up on the vulgar or covert set of arcana, or in the middle of the two?
Kai
Kai

Back to top Go down

Post by shouldabeenadog Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:49 am

In the middle.
shouldabeenadog
shouldabeenadog

Back to top Go down

Post by Kai Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:20 am

As you do that, the turning device becomes solid stone, and the symbols on the outer edge of the door disappear. A star begins to give off a faint flow in the center of the door, and in the center of the star, in no particular order are all 10 arcana symbols faintly glowing on the stone. Written in Atlantean script at the bottom is a single word

"Banishing"
Kai
Kai

Back to top Go down

Post by shouldabeenadog Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:27 am

Ensign hastily backs up.

"Sir, dial turned."
Captain:
Surpernal Vision
"Aye Ensign, dial turned. Ruby, whats next?"
shouldabeenadog
shouldabeenadog

Back to top Go down

Post by Benjamin Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:53 pm

Armstrong

Armstrong rolls 1 to Paradox (base 2, tool -1, Mana -1) (Chance)
4 (failure)
Armstrong rolls 6 to Teleport (Gnosis + Space - Intimate Connection) (WillPower)
3,7,4,5,7,8,7,6,8 (2 successes)

Armstrong closed her laptop and unfolded herself up into hyperspace and attached herself to the obligation-line that she had just finished building. There was the faintest wumph of displaced air as she folded herself back into 3-D space near the coordinates Calligan sent her. She then heads over to the site.
Benjamin
Benjamin

Back to top Go down

Post by shouldabeenadog Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:50 pm

Captain just has to quirck his eyebrow before three guns are drawn and pointed at the newcommer.

"Who sent you" He asks, almost bored. The three crewmembers are calm, even as they take up firing positions.
shouldabeenadog
shouldabeenadog

Back to top Go down

Post by tsameti Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:51 pm

"Captain, what are you doing playing around? It's set on the Banishing cycle!" Ruby nearly shrieks. "Oh, I learned my lesson! Always pick the subtle ones, I ain't gonna make that mistake again!" as Ruby backs up from the glowing stone door she tries to usher the others away.

"What are you doing dummy? Back up, 'less you be a melted fool 'stead of an unwelcome one!"
tsameti
tsameti

Back to top Go down

Post by Kai Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:59 pm

After a few minutes of waiting, nothing happens.
Kai
Kai

Back to top Go down

Post by Kai Thu Mar 26, 2009 5:02 pm

((Wits + Academics please from everyone))
Kai
Kai

Back to top Go down

Post by Kai Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:01 pm

((Based on the rolls I've gotten, you guys feel this might be just a second puzzle))
Kai
Kai

Back to top Go down

Post by shouldabeenadog Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:04 pm

Captain:
Supernal Vision
"So, that was to scare off the wimps" Says Captain, still shaking dust off of himself as he hit the deck. He turns back to face the newcomer.

"Talking is good you know." The three guns rise up again. Fingers aren't on the triggers, but are close.

"And miss Ruby, would you do the honors of figuring out how to get through this one?"
shouldabeenadog
shouldabeenadog

Back to top Go down

Post by tsameti Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:08 pm

The awkward silence is painful for a moment until they all realize there isn't any danger.

"Hahahaha!" Ruby hunches over, sides splitting with laughter.

"St. Peter's ghost, I thought we were all done for! And you miss, you scared the cotton out of me too! Now please, before the Captain puts an few extra drinkin' holes in you, mind introducin' yourself?" She gets the last few snickers out of her system.
tsameti
tsameti

Back to top Go down

Post by Benjamin Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:26 pm

Damn it Calligan, I'm using my sickdays here, Armstrong thought while she gives Captain this incredulous look. "What? You mean Wellmer didn't tell you? I'm supposed to reinforce and assist the team here. I go by Armstrong here. You must be The Captain? Could you point those things somewhere else since we're supposed to be on the same side. She dusts herself off before looking over at Ruby and extending her hand. "I'm sorry, Miss Ruby? I haven't met you yet."
Benjamin
Benjamin

Back to top Go down

Post by shouldabeenadog Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:40 pm

a small hand motion, and the guns disappear.

"You came in wearing spells. Wouldn't be the first time i've been ambushed expecting someone else. Sorry for the mixup. I'm Captain, this is Ensign, Commander, and Leftenant." They tip their baseball caps, all which have the USS Cyclone emblazoned on them.
shouldabeenadog
shouldabeenadog

Back to top Go down

Post by tsameti Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:02 pm

"Yes Miss Armstrong, I'm Ruby. Nice to meet you. I'm sorry we're all on edge, but we're pretty sure we're right 'bout ready to wake up somethin' awful and it's got us spooked." Ruby clasps Armstrong's hand and shakes it once, gingerly. "I'm here representin' the Mysterium, 'spose you're here with the Libertines too? Truthfully it's awful nice you all are helping."

"So! Now that we ain't got a dial anymore, I figure we just have to trace the Banishment cycle on th' lit runes. Question simply bein' where to start it."
tsameti
tsameti

Back to top Go down

Post by shouldabeenadog Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:09 pm

Captain:
Supernal Vision
"Start it at death right? Or is it matter. I can never remember which goes first."
shouldabeenadog
shouldabeenadog

Back to top Go down

Post by tsameti Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:56 am

"Hm. It's Death to Spirit... but I can't remember if it's through Life or Matter. Then it passes to Mind, Fate, and Prime."

"For the life of me I can't remember which order the gross Arcana go in though... Armstrong, you don't happen to know the order of the Banishing cycle, do you?"
tsameti
tsameti

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:48 am

(( None in this group have a high enough Occult to know the Cycles off the top of their head. ))

Back to top Go down

Post by Kai Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:40 pm

((With Captains new insight into occult, he feels that the idea is to "drag" the symbols in order and appropriately located to draw the banishing cycle.))
Kai
Kai

Back to top Go down

Post by shouldabeenadog Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:26 pm

Captain:
Supernal Vision
"Well. I have a good idea of what to do. The only problem is I need to know the banishing cycle to do it. Any of you know how to do that?"
shouldabeenadog
shouldabeenadog

Back to top Go down

Post by Benjamin Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:58 pm

"No, but I can try to figure it out." Armstrong pulls out a much abused pad of paper and a pencil and starts scribbling in shorthand while mumbling the high speech to herself. It looks like a particularly complex math problem of some sort.

Armstrong rolls 8 to West's Improv Fate2/Mind 2 spell (Gnosis + Mind + HS) (10 Again)
9,3,4,8,4,5,4,5 2 successes
Benjamin
Benjamin

Back to top Go down

Post by Benjamin Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:26 pm

Armstrong makes a dignified little squeak of triumph and you can almost see the light bulb go off over her head. She quickly jots down a pentagram on a new sheet of paper and taps the 7 o'clock position. "We need to start here at Death," she traces out the pattern on the paper as she continues. "And progress through Life to Spirit to Space to Mind to Time to Fate to Forces to Prime to Matter and back to Death. That's the Banishing Cycle"
Benjamin
Benjamin

Back to top Go down

Post by shouldabeenadog Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:31 pm

"Aye Aye."

Captain makes another hand motion, and the Crew back up.

Captain then slowly places his hand over the symbols, and begins dragging the symbols, starting with death, and then life, spirit, space,mind,time,fate,forces prime, and matter, putting them in the right places for the banishing cycle."

He finishes, then backs up quickly.
shouldabeenadog
shouldabeenadog

Back to top Go down

Post by Kai Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:35 pm

The door disintegrates into sand, falling onto the downward slope it was protecting. You can almost feel the darkness recoiling in horror as an odor most foul assaults your nostrils. In your mind your hear a thousand scream, your skin crawls, and your soul wants to flee in horror.

In front of you lays a carved stone cavern descending down.
Kai
Kai

Back to top Go down

Post by Benjamin Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:47 pm

Armstrong whistles as she looks down the passage. "I'm not afraid of saying this, but I don't enjoy the idea walking blindly down a spooky passage. I can look ahead, if someone can light the way or let me see in the dark."
Benjamin
Benjamin

Back to top Go down

Post by tsameti Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:14 pm

"Oh, don't worry. We brought a couple of flashlights. Now, next step's to flush the bad air out. Tomb air ain't much good for breathin'."

Ruby rolls up her sleeves and stands before the opening. Taking a deep breath, she focuses and lights mana aflame in her soul. Ruby calls out in the High Tongue, and from the dead tower to the golden spire, she draws down the power to touch the wind.

Shape Air + Forces component for wind
03-27 16:03:00 Ruby rolls 8 dice to Gnosis+Matter+HS 7 successes
8,9,10,9,8, 3,10,4,10,6, 2
holy shnike!

Hurling her hands heavenwards, Ruby's fingers wrap around a galestorm. She weaves it expertly into the maw of the cavern, and the hideous stench of dead air begins to flush out in an ugly-smelling rush.
tsameti
tsameti

Back to top Go down

Post by shouldabeenadog Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:54 pm

There are a few whistles from the Crew, and the captain is clapping his hands slowly.

"I am impressed." He says, and smiles. A very charming smile.

"All right, lets wait a minute before we go in for the ox to go back. Gear up while we wait."

Captain and all of the crew grab flashlights.

"And I want eyes on everyone, hold still."

He goes over to Ensign and says: "Raise Periscope." and uses a free council gesture. (rote casting: Opening the lidless eye)
03-27 17:48:16Captain rolls 11 dice to Presence+persuasion+mind2 successes
6,1,5,8,3, 2,4,4,6,3, 8
"Activate Radar." he snaps his fingers at Leftenant. (Eyes of the Matrix)
03-27 17:48:36Captain rolls 9 dice to gnosis+forces4 successes
9,2,10,7,6, 10,4,3,10,1, 6,3
"Activate Sonar." He snap-turns to Commander, and points at him. (primal flow)
03-27 17:48:28Captain rolls 10 dice to gnosis+prime2 successes
10,6,2,7,1, 5,2,3,10,1, 7,3
"Fall in!" He orders, and the three of them fall in behind him, in a diamond pattern, with ensign at the back, leftenant on the left, and commander on the right. "Ladies, shall we?"
shouldabeenadog
shouldabeenadog

Back to top Go down

Post by tsameti Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:23 pm

"OK then! Flashlights, fresh air, and six of us! I'm feelin' about as good as I can about this."

"Say Armstrong... what's your specialty? I mean, what put the Council to sendin' you along? I'm here since I've done a dig or two, and Cap's here on account of being a gentleman. What do you do?"
tsameti
tsameti

Back to top Go down

Post by shouldabeenadog Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:41 pm

Got a Hill and a Hole to Dig Captainbanner
Supernal Vision

Active Crew Spells: Ensign Opening the Lidless Eye, Leftenant (Eyes of the Matrix), Commander (Primal Flow)

Captain answers a text he just go.

"Alright, lets get going. Clocks ticking."

The four of them take point, and with guns drawn, begin exploring the tomb.
shouldabeenadog
shouldabeenadog

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next