Twilight Valley
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Private Diaries of Antoinette Part III

Go down

The Private Diaries of Antoinette Part III Empty The Private Diaries of Antoinette Part III

Post by Guest Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:44 am

Antoinette’s Diaries Part III

February 2006

After safely tucking me up in my “tower”, Quinton had to go about the Kindred business of the city, or whatever it is that Quinton does. He doesn’t share a lot of details with me, really, when it comes down to it. Before, when I was still human, I always felt as if I was intruding if I asked personal things. I thought it would change when I changed, but he still makes me feel distant. Maybe it’s just the weird situation with this war.

So, it wasn’t just “in-fighting”. It’s a full-on war. Some “Brood” thing or other. Quinton had tried to soften the description so as not to frighten me I guess. (Or, perhaps, so I wouldn’t back out?) Which is nice and all, but it doesn’t change the fact that I’m still pretty scared. You can’t imagine what if feels like to go from being a human, where it’s fine to go outside and do whatever you want, to overnight becoming a creature that other Kindred can easily seek out, hunt down and kill. Especially brand new ones. I literally cannot leave my flat, as I don’t know how to protect myself yet. And I’m going out of my frickin’ mind!

So to try to cheer me up, Quinton surprised me with an extra special, four-legged birthday gift; a precious little grey and white Italian Greyhound that I immediately named “Zero” after the ghost dog in my favorite movie “A Nightmare Before Christmas”. (Quinton hadn’t seen it, so I made him sit with me and watch it).

Quinton then explained about animals and vampire. Apparently, they don’t always get along so well. But we as Lords of the Kindred have been well bred with the ability to rule over all, including the animals. I didn’t exactly want to rule over this adorable little creature, but Quinton took the time to help me direct a gift he had passed down through his powerful line, and showed me how I could talk to Zero. It was the most remarkable thing! Then he insisted I “thrall” him, so the dog would be bonded to me. Later, when I was more advanced and in control of the other gifts he had passed to me, I could “ghoul” him and he’d be able to serve me better. So many new words, but this was all part of the process I guess. The instructions were easy though; I gave Zero the first drink of my blood as Quinton supervised and promised to follow through the next two nights on my own.

Laughing, Quinton told me I’d have to be careful about Zero around other Kindred. Zero would smell the lack of good breeding in any Kindred other than Ventrue and most likely growl and attempt to attack them. He said, no matter how much “we” found it amusing, I needed to protect poor Zero, considering how frail he is. Once he was ghouled, we’d give him a few things to help him protect himself a bit more. I made myself a solemn promise not to take Zero with me anywhere we’d be near Kindred until I could gift him with more protection.

Then I remembered my horse, Koning, a bay Dutch Warmblood stud my father had imported for me right before I’d lost both my parents to the accident. Thank god I was Ventrue. I talked it over with Quinton who told me the Invictus have a hunt club I could join later – I was thrilled! Now I just need to brush up on my hunting. (Being a devoted dressage rider and all.) But he put his foot down. I’m not to leave the flat to ride for any reason until he tells me the situation in the city is safe. I’m to let the trainer continue to work the horse.

Ummm, well… Quinton left me unsupervised so, so many nights. He never knew. And it was such an easy maneuver to get away with for an old pro like me. I’d slip down the elevator, straight to my car waiting in the parking structure, directly out the gaited property, right out of the city at break-neck speeds and far out to the farms where Koning was kept. No wars happening out there, right?? I was safe. I always had my cell with me, and he never checked, that I know of. I got in a lot of riding that way. It was part of my salvation.

My other salvation was Lash. It kept me going through the long, long nights of nothingness. I created from my memories, and from my new experiences as a daughter of the Devil. I wove my humanity I’d lost into the undeath I had now embraced and brought to life a collection that sung to me in minor keys of such beauty, it would have made my heart stop, had it not already been stopped by my Sire.

It didn’t really matter though. No matter what I filled my nights with, they were always empty. Drained with longing, and doubt. Where was he? Was he with someone else? Did he not love me? It made me crazy during my waking hours, and filled my dreams with pain and anguish during the days.

I guess this is what they mean when they say the “honeymoon is over”.

Back to top Go down