Twilight Valley
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grabbing Hands Grab All They Can

Go down

Grabbing Hands Grab All They Can Empty Grabbing Hands Grab All They Can

Post by jmiland1 Tue May 26, 2009 7:11 pm

To make things easy, Martin had convinced Lewis Gordon to meet him at the Gilded Lily. They slid into a booth in the back, Martin angling so he could keep an eye on the floor while they talked.
“Mr. Gordon,” Martin said, after all of the pleasantries and small talk were finished. “Thank you for coming out to meet with me tonight. The reason I asked you out here was, I know you’ve been running an architectural firm here in Sacramento since you left San Francisco. I happen to have contact with many of the upper class here in the city. I thought, perhaps,” he said, spreading his hands with a slight shrug, “that you could hire me on as a sort of… consultant. In exchange for my fee, I’d direct business your way. Maybe let you know about any open contracts that I hear about, for example.”
“I don’t know,” Gordon said, with a slight frown. “I mean, it’s a great offer, Carpenter, and I’d love to help you out; your uncle and I go back, way back. But we’re not exactly hurting for assistance. I have a team of people who go out and cultivate those sorts of contacts.”
“Oh, I understand, Mr. Gordon, of course I do.” Martin gave a wide smile, and leaned in conspiratorially. “You have to understand, though, when I say ‘upper crust’ I mean very rich and powerful people.” He stabbed the table for emphasis, and nodded at Gordon when he saw some light of understanding in the mortal’s eyes.
It didn’t matter that the people Martin was talking about weren’t exactly the same as the ones Gordon was thinking of.
“I think,” Martin said, and here he put his will behind his Words, forcing them into the man’s mind, “I think it would be a very good idea for you to take me on in a consultancy capacity. Pay me forty thousand a month and I will tip business your way, business like you would not believe. I will be very much worth your while, Mr. Gordon.” With that, he let the power fade, knowing the words would linger in the mortal’s mind. “Think about it,” he suggested, smiling. “Take some time to think it over, and get back to me, will you?”
He shook the man’s hand and slid out of the booth, leaving him to contemplate whether or not he could afford this new “consultant.”
Martin knew he would make the right decision.
jmiland1
jmiland1

Back to top Go down