Twilight Valley
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trimming the Hedge

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Trimming the Hedge Empty Trimming the Hedge

Post by Guest Sat Apr 04, 2009 12:26 pm

Today was the day. Aristophanes paced back and forth in the lobby of the Four Seasons Hotel. To mortal eyes, he looked like a tall, well-dressed man in crisp, gray slacks, a white linen shirt and a hazy blue vest. To the changelings who would be arriving, he looked quite different. The pants were more worn and rugged looking, as was the shirt. They appeared sturdier than the Mask would imply, but provided little protective value. The vest, on the other hand, was something altogether different to the eyes of the Lost. His chest was encased in a deep blue breastplate, contrasting with the pale blue of his skin. In the pocket of his pants, he carried a switchblade -- if it weren't for the plain humans around, he'd probably be playing with it nervously, but he did not want to attract undue attention.

All he could do now was wait for the others to show up; he knew of at least one person who had responded on the board at Edna's, and he hoped others would come as well. There was strength (and safety) in numbers, and if anything were amiss, the more the merrier.

Back to top Go down

Trimming the Hedge Empty Re: Trimming the Hedge

Post by jmiland1 Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:49 pm

Brandon whistles a tune as he enters the hotel. Usually he is dressed, if not chic, then at least fashionably--suits, slacks, things of a dressy nature--but today is about durability and comfort. Jeans, boots, and a flannel shirt. He looks around as he enters, wondering if it would be a small group, or if Summer would have gotten involved and turned it into a hunting party.
Seeing only Aristophanes, Brandon makes his way over, a backpack slung over one shoulder and an easy smile on his face. "Hola, muchacho," he says, holding out a hand. "I see you're all decked out for the trip."
jmiland1
jmiland1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:18 pm

Aristophanes shakes his fellow Fairest's hand. "There's no harm in preparation, friend; there's no telling what might be out there, should we find a way in."

That was an important point -- finding a trod into the Hedge. The Bright One had come bursting from the Sacramento River all those months ago, but he was reticent to try heading into the Hedge by that particular route. He had his methods though, so Aristophanes was not worried about failure.

"What might your name be?"

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:23 pm

Aristophanes takes a moment to focus his Wyrd, the surge of Glamour filling him as it is spent, waiting to see what he can divine about the local Hedge.

Back to top Go down

Post by jmiland1 Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:37 pm

"Brandon Davis, of the Autumn Court." He pats the backpack slung over one shoulder. "I assume you're Aristophanes? You weren't too specific about what you were looking for in the Hedge, but I've got some gear in here that ought to help out. Brought a couple a' hatchets, in case we need to hack our way through the brush."
jmiland1
jmiland1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:30 pm

"Nice to meet you, Brandon, I am indeed Aristophanes. I'm going in for two reasons: to make sure there is nothing lurking within the Hedge that poses an immediate danger to the Freehold, and secondly to perhaps harvest some goblin fruits. Anyone else coming is free to pursue their own agenda, provided we all stay together -- it wouldn't do to have one of our own lost out there. Your hatchets should help nicely either way though, that's good thinking."

He pauses a moment, concentrating again. "We might have to hike a bit about the city once everyone else gets here. There are some Hollows here in the hotel, but no trods. I expected as much, but I figured this would be a good place to meet. Hope you don't mind walking too much."

Back to top Go down

Post by jmiland1 Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:35 pm

Brandon shakes his head, "That won't be a problem. I figured we'd be doing some walking in the Hedge, anyhow; going a few blocks or a mile in the city will be a walk in the park compared to that, so... no worries, there." He smiles. "Myself, I was also hoping to pick a few fruits, and maybe scout out a good place for a Hollow. You expecting many others?"
jmiland1
jmiland1

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexi Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:46 pm

Tiffany stands in the entrance to the lobby, hearing every word, and she just grins, before she walks over, a fog coating the room as she moves, almost hovers across the ground, towards the pair. She's dressed in a rather medieval dress, complete with cloak that furls around her; the very sight of her crackles with more than just residual emotion and energy. "Now now, what's this about walking into the Hedge with no idea where you're going? Are you boys trying to get caught by something rather nasty?"
Lexi
Lexi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:51 pm

Aristophanes shrugs a bit. "There are at least two others who said they would come under my original notice. Not sure if there will be anyone else."

Turning to Tiffany, he speaks icily. "If wandering blindly is what it takes to discover a threat to the Lost of our city, then that is exactly what I intend to do."

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexi Sat Apr 04, 2009 3:53 pm

The fog seems to get a little darker, and you would almost swear you heard something swimming in it. "What makes you think it's your place to do any such thing? Groping blinding about in the dark is just as likely to draw a threat to us. Do you even know where to safely get into the Hedge?"
Lexi
Lexi

Back to top Go down

Post by jmiland1 Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:07 pm

"Only one way for us to find that out, isn't there?" Brandon says mildly. "Gotta find that knowledge out somehow, and if we're gonna learn anything about the Hedge at all that seems the best way to go. Unless you've got a map of the unmappable lands?"
jmiland1
jmiland1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:11 pm

Aristophanes' blue cheeks begin to flush a violent white at the woman's questioning, and his injured pride only fuels his irritation. "It is the duty of the Summer Court to find and uproot any potential threats; this is quite clearly my place. While I do not know where to find a place of safe entry, I have my contracts, and they have served, and will continue to serve me well in my endeavors!"

Hearing Brandon's remarks, he adds quietly, "Thank you, Brandon."

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexi Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:15 pm

"And have you met the Summer King? Do you know what his wishes are? Have you even found out what is expected of a summer courtier in Sacramento?" Her questions continue to pierce, and the room begins to dim as she speaks further. "I know what you have learned, and you will end up in the stomach of some beast if you use it so foolishly for gathering information."
Lexi
Lexi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:38 pm

"I have lived in this city for quite some time, miss, and I have been a Summer courtier practically since my return. I have not spoken with the Summer King in some time now, but with my experience, I think I know a bit about what is expected of me."

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexi Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:50 pm

The fog seems to become more and more dense as she stands there, still almost hovering above the ground. "And yet you have no idea with whom you speak now?" She raises a hand, and with a gut-wrenching sound to accompany it, Aristophanes becomes a white rabbit. She picks him up, and tosses him out into a chair, where he instantly reappears as himself. Her very presence seems to impose itself upon the room as the fog crackles and shudders.

"I am the Court Vizier, and you would do well to heed these words. Sovereign General Kavrol does not look kindly upon those who would blindly seek out threads and lead them to our peaceful existence. If you wish to continue your trek, either do so blindly, and seek his wrath, or look for the Arch."

~Narration~

As the last word is spoken, a gust of wind flies through the room, and Tiffany is gone, the fog and shadow lost with her.
Lexi
Lexi

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:02 pm

Betony Rue enters the hotel lobby. She is weariung tired jeans that look to have been patched many times, an apron made of thick cloth, a button up blouse and shawl wrapped close round her neck like a scarf. She carries a large woven tote bag, that looks mostly empty.
Betony feels a little uncomfortable in the clothes as they aren't her usual attire but the Thorns snagged skirts with a vengence, so something more practical was needed.
She moves to Aristophanes and Brandon with a fast step, which falters as with the transformation of the "Bright One". She glances around the lobby. Has anyone seen the blatant use of magic? With Aristophanes return to normal she continues forward.
"I am Betony Rue, I assume this is the nature expedition." It wasn't so much a question as a plain statement of assumption. "Are you alright?"
Thistle
Thistle

Back to top Go down

Post by jmiland1 Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:07 pm

"That... could have gone better," Brandon says. "So, the Arch, then." His tone is guarded, now; just because she has disappeared doesn't mean she's gone. He glances over at Betony, and the smile returns to his face. "You betcha, toots. We're going for a hike."
jmiland1
jmiland1

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:14 pm

Though Betony's face remains its normal emotionless scowl and her voice is cold, when she looks at Brandon he can almost see the burning fires of dry leaves within her eyes.
I introduced myself so I could be refered to properly. You will do so.
Thistle
Thistle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:27 pm

Aristophanes stands and straightens his clothing. "I'm fine," he says a bit ruefully. It was damn stupid of him, speaking as he had, but he had never had business with the Court Vizier before. How was he supposed to know that it was her? Of course, this did not prevent the headstrong Fairest from thinking that she was a total bitch, it just meant he would have to watch how he spoke in the future.

He extends his hand to the Ogre. "You are correct though, this would be the meeting place for our expedition. I am Aristophanes; it is a pleasure to meet you, Betony Rue. I suppose we will be looking for the Arch soon enough, but perhaps we should wait a bit longer. I believe there is yet one more we are waiting on."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:31 pm

Nightfall wanders in, and approaches the others with a smile and a wave. Things seem oddly... tense. He's carrying a guitar case.

Mien: Nightfall, like any Fairest, has a Mien similar to his Mask. His ears have slight points, and his complexion is much lighter, almost bleached. His eyes seem almost radiant, and he has unusually thick wrists. His Mantle causes his breath to appear as if in the middle of Winter, and his footfalls sound like snow being crushed.

Trimming the Hedge Nfbanner

Back to top Go down

Post by jmiland1 Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:35 pm

Giving an amiable nod, Brandon says, "Sure, sure. Sorry, Betony. No offense meant. Clearly you aren't into the whole 'casual' thing, that's fine. I'm Brandon, by the way--although I also go by 'bro,' 'dude,' or even 'hey, you.'"
Oh yeah. The way the day was starting out, this was going to be a real fun trip.
jmiland1
jmiland1

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:41 pm

Raenette Roe walks into the lobby, wearing a pair of slashed, faded jeans over a more intact pair. A similar configuration of hoodys are draped about her upperhalf, through which a Walmart uniform and a namebadge for someone named 'Ronnie' are visible. She awkwardly carries something the shape and size of a baseball bat, swathed in plastic bags and gauze.

"Uh, 's one of you, 'Risto-fanes?"

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:43 pm

Her gaze stays on Brandon for several seconds, as if almost wanting more of a confrontation, before switching to the Summer changeling.
She takes his hand as lightly as a dove, the hooks pricking and snagging at the skin.
"Of course. Tell me first, I want to know your purpose for entering the Hedge. You were rather vague in your advertisement."
Thistle
Thistle

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:55 pm

As Raennette enters, Aristophanes responds, speaking both to her and to Nightfall, and all assembled. "Yes, that would be me. Welcome to everyone. We have gathered here today because we all share an interest in the Hedge, or at least I would assume so. My own interest lays primarily in gauging the safety of the trods of Sacramento, though I will also be searching for goblin fruits for harvesting. You all are welcome to do whatever you wish, provided we stick together and keep an eye on each others' backs. This is by no means a hunting party, but this is also not a picnic holiday, and we must all be on guard."

"Before we head to the Arch, where we will apparently be entering the Hedge,why don't we introduce ourselves? As I said, my name is Aristophanes, Summer courtier."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:58 pm

Nightfall holds his hand up with a confused look. He sets the guitar case down and pulls out a notepad and pen and writes:

head 2 the Arch, where we'll enter?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:04 pm

Aristophanes takes a moment to read the note. "Yes, that seems to be right. The Court Vizier was here before you came. She... saw fit to give us that much information."

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:44 pm

Nightfall shrugs and nods, with a trace of a smile on his lips. This group needed him a lot more than he had realized.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:10 pm

"I am Betony Rue. I owe fealty to the Autumn court and am skilled in healing should the need arise. I am coming along in search of fruit, to examine the Hedge near several city parks if we are able, and to generally familiarize myself with the local Briars."
Thistle
Thistle

Back to top Go down

Post by jmiland1 Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:32 am

"And I'm Brandon Thomas, also of the Autumn Court. And my interests are much the same as Miss Betony Rue's: I wanna pluck a couple fruits and see what the Hedge is like here. Maybe scout out possible locations for a Hollow."
jmiland1
jmiland1

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexi Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:25 pm

A small japanese woman walks into the room, wearing hiking books and a denim skirt. "What's all this commotion out here?"
Lexi
Lexi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:35 pm

Nightfall waves to Rumiko & surreptitiously rolls his eyes.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:03 am

Raenette leans on her bundled bat and sighs lazily as the light of green lines pulse faintly through her shirt.

"Well me? I just want some fruit. I'm Raenette. Roe. I don't have a court. I been wanting to see what it's like for a while now, but I don't really wanna go without others, y'know?

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:10 pm

When the small Japanese woman asks her question, Aristophanes briefly considers giving a smart-ass answer, but remembering the last time he did that to someone who came from within the hotel rather than without, he thinks better of it.

"Nothing much, ma'am. We are preparing to leave on a little trip of sorts. If you are referring to the the noise earlier, you may have heard my, ah, introduction to the Vizier. We were just finishing our introductions, but we are done now. If you'd like to join us, you are more than welcome to."

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexi Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:40 pm

"Ahh, perhaps I will, perhaps I won't. The vizier huh? I hear tell she's a pretty scary lady." She smiles and then walks over to Nightfall, giving him as big a hug as possible for one as small as her. "Nice to see you again, you going with this lot?"
Lexi
Lexi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:44 pm

Nightfall nodded and hugged her back. With a twinkle in his eye, he showed her what he had previously written on his pad:

head 2 the Arch, where we'll enter?

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexi Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:49 pm

"Ohhh the Arch..I suppose that's as good a place as any. Do any of you know where it is?"
Lexi
Lexi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Apr 06, 2009 11:42 pm

The tall Fairest sighs quietly. "I'm sure we could find it alright on our own, but I suppose getting directions wouldn't hurt."

As much as he hated to admit it, Aristophanes was quickly realizing that he had prepared too much for battle and not enough for an actual trip into the Hedge. At least this woman seemed much nicer than that Vizier, seeing as Nightfall hadn't turned into a rabbit when she hugged him.

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:21 am

Betony Rue felt suddenly much less sure on whether this was a good idea. Aristophanes didn't seem to have planned much at all.
"No, we do not know where the Arch is. If you could direct us it would be appriciated."
Thistle
Thistle

Back to top Go down

Post by tsameti Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:35 pm

Grobbler pops back into the Four Seasons, hoping to catch Mario but is taken aback when he sees the crowd gathered in the lobby.

"Uh... sorry. Is this one of the Spring dances or whatever?"
tsameti
tsameti

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:37 pm

Frustrated with himself and with those around him, his Mantle seems to send off just a little more heat than normal as he replies to the new Ogre, his voice a little more curt than he means it to be.

"No, this isn't some Spring affair; we are trying to go on a Hedge expedition, though we seem to keep hitting damned snags in the road."

Back to top Go down

Post by Thistle Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:42 pm

This was getting more frustrating. Were they going to have to stop and exchange social niceties for everyone they crossed paths with.
Trying to move things along she speaks to Aristophanes. "Let's seal the vow and go."
Thistle
Thistle

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexi Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:06 pm

Rumiko hangs on Nightfall a little, and just looks over at the last two who spoke. "Now, why so rude? Maybe he came to join the expedition; you'll never make friends that way!" and as she speaks, a swirl of cherry blossoms float around her and Nightfall, before flowing away on an unseen breeze.
Lexi
Lexi

Back to top Go down

Post by tsameti Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:09 pm

"Uh... why don't you just go? There are like twelve of you. You're acting like it's some kind of bid deal, hell you all look like you're getting ready to invade some place."
tsameti
tsameti

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:14 pm

Nightfall smiled at the purple people eater and held out his hand to shake. It seemed his opinions of Autumn and Summer were in no danger of being disabused.

Back to top Go down

Post by tsameti Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:27 pm

Grobbler dimly notices the hand offered him and gives it a rough shake. "Uh, hey." Jeez, those eyes are creepy. He doesn't give his name or say anything either. Grobbler turns back to the pouting Changelings, "I mean, you guys know how to do the knock, right? Unless you do something dumb, you probably won't get eaten."
tsameti
tsameti

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:55 pm

Speaking to Grobbler, Aristophanes says, "Well I know that we won't get eaten," mentally adding unlike that damned Vizier, "but there is apparently a certain way it needs to be done, and unfortunately, I'm not sure where the place to go is."

Turning slightly to Rumiko, he says, "If you would be so kind, Miss... I'm sorry, I don't think I got your name. But if you would kindly point us in the right direction, it would be much appreciated, and do much toward alleviating my current frustration." With this last bit, the Bright One adds the barest flourish of a bow.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexi Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:02 pm

Rumiko extends her hand, "I'm Rumiko Mekara." She smiles, a twinkle in her eye as she waits for one of them to take her hand. "You really shouldn't be so frustrated, but you should probably know that Arch is a person, not a place. Well, I'm sure there are places called Arch..I mean there's the St. Louis Arch after all...but Arch is totally the best guide in and out of the Hedge."
Lexi
Lexi

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:05 pm

Arc de Triomphe Nightfall wrote, and showed it to Rumiko.

Back to top Go down

Post by Lexi Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:08 pm

"Ohh! That's a good one too. The Victory Arch, too!"
Lexi
Lexi

Back to top Go down

Post by tsameti Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:24 pm

Now Grobbler isn't exactly the smartest guy around, but he's certainly not dumb either. Miss Rumiko Giggles McBubblington has got the most freaking intense Spring mantle I've ever seen - he glances quickly at the muted mantles of the other gathered changelings and adds - by far.

Is the Spring Queen just fucking with everyone? Just for yucks? These people look pissed as shit, and I'm sure she's known exactly what they want this whole time.

"Uh, hey your majesty. I'm uh, Grobbler. How's it going..."
tsameti
tsameti

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next