Twilight Valley
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Once Upon a Time...

Go down

Once Upon a Time... Empty Once Upon a Time...

Post by Soul Fri May 01, 2009 6:26 am

Part I:

Once upon a time, in the faraway land of Arcadia, there ruled a ruthless King from atop the largest Volcano, mount Kaji. He was known by many names, such as The burning King, The Lord of Fire, or The Phoenix of the Deep, and his kingdom stretched entire mountain ranges.
Tall as the mountains he inhabited, and powerful as the magma harbored by his volcano, he thought himself indestructible, until one day he met her. Only few Arcadian Lords even knew of her existence, and even fewer had ever met her face to face. It was said that if one looked upon her face, that they shall see a glimpse of their own future reflected in her eyes.
And so it was for the great King, but what he saw gave him pause, for it was his own demise he saw reflected in the twin orbs of pure darkness.

When he returned to his fortress that night, he called together his most trusted and wisest advisors. For many moons they thought about a solution for their Kings prediction, but found none, for the future she had shown the King was but a glimpse, devoid of any details.
They presented the lack of their insight, and their heads still adorn the Kings courtyard to this day.

The King decided that if this were to be his fate, then at least he would not allow his lands to be torn into chaos by the power-vacuum that he would leave behind. And so he set out to find an heir to his throne.
He traveled the perilous world of Arcadia for many a mans life, and for the first time felt the flow of the sands of time pulling at him, rushing him along.
But even though he searched far and long, there was no suitable heir to be found. There was only one option left to the King, one he had dreaded until now; but with all his other options depleted, he decided it was worth the agony.
He would travel to the real world to make his heir.

It had been centuries since his curiosity had gotten the better of him and he had visited this dreadfully limited world, but when he arrived, he was surprised to find that his last visit was still remembered. The people of the small volcanic islands had come to call him Kagutsuchi no kami, the God of Fire.
This was not part of his plan, and so he traveled across the vast blue ocean until he came upon a large mass of land, far away from his worshipers.
Here he found tribes of red skinned humans, their bonds to nature and curiosity very much like his own, except that they were frail and limited as all things in this real world were.

Traveling the mountain ranges of this new land in search of a suitable host, he involuntarily started to learn a lot about these humans. They were resourceful and creative, their songs and dances bringing even the Kings heart to pound faster and hotter.
It was by watching one of these ceremonies that he had found his host, a fair young woman with skin as red as the sand in his home in Arcadia, and auburn brown hair falling in light waves across her back. He quickly found out that she was the daughter of this tribe’s leader, but that she had been unable to carry child for more than a few months.

One night, when the full moon lit up the heavens of this strange world, the King went to the woman called Saja of the Red Sand, and made her an offer. He would allow her to carry two children to term, but he would come to claim them 5’555 days after their birth.
Saja, being unable to grasp this number, quickly consented to the alluring and fiery man. They spent the remainder of the night together in her tent, but when the sun crept over the horizon the King was gone, having returned to his throne in Arcadia, where he prepared everything for the arrival of his two children.

The woman became pregnant, as she had before, but the children in her womb stayed healthy and strong. A miracle had occurred. When finally the day of labor was upon her, she and her midwife were surprised at the lack of pain and blood as she gave birth to two healthy children: a boy and a girl. The girl was thought ill, as she did not cry like her brother did, as she drew her first breath of the world, but her breathing was regular, and her heart beat fast and strong.
It wasn’t until the twins opened their eyes for the first time, that the mother knew her children not to be of earthly decent. The girl’s eyes were a cold blue, seeming to analyze every detail of what she saw, while the boy’s were a warm red, kind and soft as they looked upon the world.
Nevertheless she raised her two children with love and affection, unquestionably happy that the spirits of her ancestors had given her this gift, for what else had the power to bestow such a wonder?

5’555 days later, the burning King, and True Fae, returned at a night of the full moon, to claim his two children, and bring them back to his realm in Arcadia.
One of them was to become the heir to his throne.
Soul
Soul

Back to top Go down

Once Upon a Time... Empty Re: Once Upon a Time...

Post by Soul Sat May 02, 2009 6:23 am

Part II

Chapter 1: The Arrival

This is my life’s story, starting with my journey through the Hedge and into Arcadia, until today where I have been imprisoned within my own room by my father; fire elemental guards standing watch outside.
Accounts from the very beginning of my journey are mostly recollections taken from slaves and maids, and are as accurate as can be expected. Thus I will not waste too much of the precious time I have left to write about it, but let me get started.

I was a bit more than three years of age; my father had just abducted me from my human mother, and I could still hear her crying in my restless dreams. Perhaps it is why I cried a lot too during the journey through the Hedge, even though I was relatively well cared for in our caravan; my twin sister, Saja – named after her mother – did not have the same problems as me. Hardly a surprise, knowing her now, but I’m getting ahead of myself.
It took us several days to get back to Arcadia, even with my father leading the way, the Hedge slowing us down more than even he had expected. Perhaps another Fae was behind it, but there is no way to know now.

I don’t remember the Hedge from back then, but I’m sure it was the same as today. No, the first thing I remember was my father’s home, the largest volcano in all of Arcadia: mount Kaji. Reaching over 60 miles into the heavens, and with a base diameter of over 250 miles, it is a world in and of itself. Constant streams of lava run down its sides and black poisonous fumes climb relentlessly into the sky.
When my tiny eyes saw its black rocks, and my brain was trying to comprehend the immensity of it – which even today it sometimes has difficulties doing – it was the first time I stopped crying, and my father was proud of me, perhaps for the last time.
Soul
Soul

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Sun May 03, 2009 6:34 am

Chapter 2: Life in a Volcano

It would have taken our caravan another few months, perhaps more, to reach its top, had we continued on foot, but as my father entered into his realm, all his powers returned and he was a God once more.
We were brought to a chamber, filled with red velvet pillows, lush couches, and ogre sized beds, all of unimaginable comfort. There were colorful toys of wearying complexity scattered around the floor, and an abundance of healthy foods and drinks at our disposal. As my sister and I explored this new world, I realized quickly that all these lavish ornaments were merely hiding the cold and black bedrock underneath. In essence, we were alone in a cave.
Saja did not care, and immediately started to solve some of the simpler puzzles around the room, but all I could do was think of our mother worlds away.

We were regularly visited by wise teachers, attempting to instruct us in their areas of expertise, and maids who played with us, or taught us manners, but our father rarely showed himself. When he did, it was always to check on our ‘progress’. My sister would show him her skills with solving puzzles and even controlling some of the ambient heat by means of contracts, where as I would make feeble attempts at imitating her. Needless to say, my father could already see a pattern arising. But I never gave up.
Whenever Saja was out with a maid, or going to sleep early, I would stay up and practice. It was only through these vigorous trainings I imposed on myself that I could barely keep up with her.

When we turned ten my father started our true contracts trainings, combined with fierce mind and body exercises. Again and again I would try to impress my father, but again and again I would fail, my sister out-staging me at every performance. My only friend during these troubling times was a sort of surrogate mother of ours, Jill. She was a beautiful changeling, who had been there for us since our trip through the hedge over five years ago. It was only because of her encouragement, and kind words that I managed to push myself to the limit every day, and keep pace with Saja.
Soul
Soul

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Sun May 03, 2009 6:12 pm

Chapter 3: Change and Age

Another four years passed by, filled with education, training, and different forms of combat arts. It was on our fourteenth birthday that our father had a very special event planned for us. We were led through the tunnels of the volcano as we had been before, but this time we were lead into an area I was not familiar with. My sister however seemed to know where we were going, her usual sly smile playing on her face.
As I shuffled after her and the slave leading us, I could only think of Jill, hoping that wherever we were going she would be there. It turned out that she was, but not how I had expected. We were led into a large open crater, burning fire-pots illuminating a huge platform at its center, with the black fumes of the volcano obscuring the night sky. The platform was surrounded by rows and rows of seats, carved into the very stone of the mountain, filled with spectators from all over the realm.
My heart was about to burst with excitement, as we were lead into the middle of the arena, and faced our father sitting on a throne of pure obsidian. I knew it was our birthday, and so far we had always received unfathomable gifts, based on the training we were just involved in. We bowed respectfully before his presence, our fist struck against our open palm, held over our solar plexus. I risked a slight glance to the side, and saw Jill, her face reflecting grave sorrow.
Confused I returned my eyes to the floor in front of me, wondering what had gotten her so worried. I was to find out sooner than I would’ve wanted.

When we rose, our father spoke, his powerful voice carrying effortlessly through the entire stadium. We were going to have to show our worth, by fighting each other in an honorary battle. My excitement was blown into the winds as soon as the words had left his lips. Was this to be our birthday present? A battle? But I was not about to give up. My resolve was strong, and I had seen my sister practice. I had a slim chance of winning if I kept to the basics I had practiced so vigorously.

We walked to opposite sides of the arena, kneeling down, as we were taught, facing away from each other. Closing our eyes we took three slow breaths, relaxing our muscles, then slowly and deliberately stood, and faced each other. Again we bowed, as we did to our father, but not as low, allowing us to keep our eyes fixed on each other. I could see Saja’s confident smile playing over her lips as we came back up and took our stances; the fight had begun.

Not wanting to give her the benefit of the first strike, I moved my hands in a close and flowing circular motion, the flames of the nearest fire-bowl heeding the call of my Wyrd. With a fluid step forward, and a thrust of my open palm the red flames roared towards Saja, who had prepared a similar maneuver of her own. She twisted her body around, stepping out of the way of my approaching fire thrusting her fist towards me, and unleashing a stream of blue fire from it.
I ducked under her attack, slicing my right foot in a half circle towards her, unleashing another arc of flames. She easily jumped over the approaching attack; her answer a torrent of small blue flame bolts shot from her punches, as she was soaring through the air towards me. I leapt out of the way, trying to roll off and come back up, but her aim was too accurate and one of her bolts hit me square in the shoulder, twisting me around and sprawling me on the hard stone floor.
A cheer went through the stadium, as I barely managed to roll to the side, avoiding another blue torrent of flames, burning into the rock where I had laid only a split second before. I pushed myself up; bring a shield of fire between Saja and myself just as her next attack struck home, almost searing through my defense.
It was my turn again, and I knew I had to win this with my next attack, for my breath was already starting to come in short gasps. Twisting in a pattern I had been taught by my father I called for the flames. The fire of three fire-bowls heeded my call, flowing around me with the circular motion of my extended arms, merging into a single powerful stream of pure, red-white fire. If my concentration hadn’t been completely on my preparations, I might have seen what my sister was planning, but as it was I realized a fraction too late.
I came around in a full circle, when I heard the crackling of energy, and the blue flashes accompanying the sound. As I flung my stream of fire I had just enough time to gap at my sister as she struck her index and middle finger in my direction, a lance of pure electricity surging from the tips, striking me square in the chest. I remember my own attack grazing her shoulder, a look of anger on her face, as she was thrust to the side by the force of my flames, but I knew it hadn’t been enough.
The world went dark, as the floor raced towards me.

I awoke an uncertain amount of time later, lying in a bed of white satin sheets, the invigorating smell of Jasmine filling my nostrils. Every bone in my body ached as I tried to sit up, but two gentle hands pushed me back onto bed.
It was Jill, asking me to take it easy and rest, but I brushed her hands away, attempting to sit up again. I was angry and ashamed. I had lost in front of the entire court; in front of my father. Sensing my welling anger, Jill allowed me to sit. I immediately knew I had changed, even before I looked into the mirror next to bed. My dark brown hair had turned into fiery red flames, my eyes were twin sparks of fire, and the air around me was distorted in slight waves of heat. I roared at my reflection, striking the mirror with my fist. An explosion of fire and glass was the answer, the flames licking all the way to the ceiling while consuming the silk tapestry, revealing the black rock underneath.
Angrily I brushed the glass from my knuckles, and, as I was used to, my wounds closed as quickly as they had appeared.
Only then did I focus my attention to my chest, where Saja had struck me with her manifested lightening, and started tearing away at the bandages. When the last layer came off I was standing on shaking feet in front of the bathroom mirror, my eyes narrowing at the scar her attack had left. It resembled a fist sized burning sun, blazing red against my pale skin.

Ignoring Jill who was still standing a few feet behind me, with her hands covering her mouth in shock and silent tears running down her cheeks, I stormed from the room; her pleading voice echoing behind me through the corridors.
I found an archway, and drew the symbol for our room into the air, my finger traced by a soft stream of fire. The hallway vanished, replaced by the huge double door of our room at the top of the mountain, flames licking the sides of the gateway.
I burst through the doors, holding its frame for a bit of support, having overestimated my recovery, and saw my sister sitting at a large round table, playing Go with a teacher.
“Leave us.” I hissed to the startled old teacher, who immediately rose and bowed to me, then shuffled out of the way.
I strode towards the table, flames from surrounding torches already starting to flow towards me as if attracted by my anger, but then I saw her face. I saw defiance and tears in her eyes for the first time in my life, and I realized I hadn’t been the only one who had changed. Her hair had turned coal-black, her eyes shimmering with blue fires, and her aura was shimmering just like mine. But it wasn’t her appearance that had stopped me; it was her right arm, which was in a sling, and bandaged in red ribbons.
I slowly drew closer to her, for the first time seeing her for the vulnerable fourteen year old she truly was. As if in a trance I started to unwrap the bandages, and was shocked when the final ribbon fell to the floor. Her right shoulder, and a part of her back, had been scarred by my last attack, the shape of a fist sized burning comet now visible on her soft skin.
Soul
Soul

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Tue May 05, 2009 6:46 am

Chapter 4: Betrayal

We never truly recovered from that day. Not only were we scarred for life, but our very essence had changed. Back then I had believed it to be for the better. Saja and I had bonded, her human side having surfaced and my Fae side having been strengthened. We had met half way.
We still competed for our father, and she was still the more gifted, but after each presentation of our talents we would return home together, as siblings and not as rivals.

When we turned eighteen, our father had sealed a treaty with a neighboring Fae by receiving two Changelings for one of his legendary elemental guards. The Other ruled over the Red Moon Desert, a mystical place of unimaginable size and beauty, not far from our own realm. Even though distance is but an illusion in Arcadia, it made traveling to and fro a lot easier.

We were invited to a grand feast, to celebrate this new alliance. Dressed in the finest garments, and glowing with the heat and power of the volcano we came from, my sister and I attended. It was magnificent, for never had we seen such a large open space, brightly illuminated by only the stars and the moons in the heavens. An impressive fire had been created at the center of the festivities, as a sign of respect to our father, and musicians and acrobats were performing, while foods from the farthest reaches of the Hedge were being served.
Before dessert, my father rose from his chair and gave a speech, hailing the new alliance, and praising the festivities thus far. It was our cue to prepare for a performance we had been perfecting for weeks, which was to be a respectful tribute, to this fine occasion.
We were given the stage, and performed the ancient rite of the dragons dance. My sisters blue flames mixed with my red ones, as we danced in perfect synchrony. We received a standing ovation, as we respectfully bowed to both our father and the Other. I had realized, that the performance had not been for mere entertainment, but was also meant as a sign of strength; my father showing our host that two very capable heirs secured his realms existence.

But the Other was not new to this game of power, and called upon his own heir for a performance, a young girl of no more than sixteen years of age. She was dressed in a simple white dress, her skin as red as the sand around us, and her dark brown hair flowing in the desert air like silk in a breeze. Her eyes were an enchanting green, appearing to glow with their own power.
As soon as our eyes met, I had felt a bond form between us, and I could tell she had too.
Her name was Fey

The performance was breathtaking. As she began to move to the rhythm of the music, her dress started to glow as if speckled with stars, and her dark hair traced behind as if under water; a comets tail reflecting the light of her dress. The only flaw appeared to be the slight heaving of her chest after she had finished, the performance without a doubt having been draining.

When the dinner was finished, and the dancing began, I quietly stole away from the crowds and the light of the great fire, to enjoy the breathtaking spectacle in the sky. I had never seen so many stars, and they all appeared to swim in nebulas of colors.
I lay down, resting on a dune of sand almost as red as my burning hair, the music and laughter only a whisper in the distance. I was startled when the princess of the Sand King sat down next to me, as I hadn’t heard her approach; the sand most likely having muffled her steps. She took my breath away when she smiled at me, and it took me a good minute to recover.
“You are so beautiful.” I blurted out, immediately regretting having opened my mouth. I was certain I was glowing red from blushing, when her soft laughter filled the night. I relaxed at the sound of her voice, and leaned back.
We lay next to each other, the sand still warm from the day’s sun, and talked for what felt like hours. She told me how lonely she had been until now, her father always hovering over her, supervising every step she made, and I in turn told her of my upbringing and my father’s unattainable expectations. Realizing our lives weren’t as different as we had imagined, we just lay there under the dazzling night sky in silence.
My mind lost in memories I was completely caught off guard – for the second time in a row – when she turned around and kissed me. One thing led to another, and before my rational mind had any chance of grasping what was happening our cloths were gone, and there was only us; two bodies entwined under a symphony of colors.

We both didn’t, couldn’t, hear their approach, but as she lay resting on top of me, they were suddenly there. I had never seen such rage in my father’s eyes, and the gloated smile of my sister sent a chill down my back. Fey tried to say something to her father, but her voice failed her.
“What have you done?” My father’s words sliced through the air like a sword.
We stood before the two Gods, naked and at their merci. We looked at each other, our eyes full of resolve and love, and then my father struck me square in the chest. The world around me exploded into pain and fire. I could hear the echo of Fey’s yelp as I crashed against the cold hard floor of my empty room; everything around me appeared to be burning.
The last thought before the world went black was that she had betrayed me.

Saja, my sister, had betrayed me.
Soul
Soul

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Mon May 11, 2009 6:35 pm

Chapter 5: Present

I came to in a large open room. My senses flooded back as I realized where I was: lying on the floor of my fathers throne room. Feeling his presence, I immediately rose to kneel before him, my forehead touching the cold stone floor.
“You have brought shame to this real, and you have dishonored yourself and me.” His words were sharp as daggers.
I raised my head. I wanted to plead, to explain what had happened, but when I looked into his eyes my words failed me. They were cold and emotionless. It was as if I no longer existed.
With a wave of a hand he dismissed me. When I had closed the doors to the throne room behind me, I saw my sister leaning against the wall outside, a piteous smile on her face.
“Why…” I started, but it was futile. I knew why she had done it.
“What would you have had me do? Lie to him?” She said with mock concern, and wanted to place a compassionate hand on my shoulder. I slapped it away, and stormed off, leaving her standing in the corridor.
I could still feel her triumphant smile, even after slamming the doors to my room shut behind me.

When I saw my reflection in the mirror of my bathroom, I understood the gravity of what I had done. My skin had taken on the darker tone of sand, and my eyes were no longer burning, but glowing with their own light, just as Fey’s had. The scar was as visible as before, and my hair still burnt with red fire, but again I had changed.

I can hear the fiery flames of my father soldiers outside my door, even as I finish this entry. What a fool I was to think my sister had changed.

But I will regain my honor, and I will fulfill my destiny.

This I swear, by the power of my Wyrd, in the name of my love to Fey, and by my father’s realm.

This I swear.
Soul
Soul

Back to top Go down

Post by Soul Mon May 11, 2009 6:35 pm

Part III

When the son of the Fire King woke early the next day, he found his father’s soldiers waiting. The young prince walked with his head held high and his heart burning with the oath he had sworn, as they escorted him to where he had fought his sister all these years ago.

The arena was filled with denizens of the realm. His sister was sitting to his father’s left, her face impassive to all except to her brother, who could see the hint of her proud smile. The King of the Red Desert, and the prince’s love Fey, sat on his right, her face full of love and fear.
He knew that judgment was upon him, but he was calm and collected. Kneeling before his father he waited.

Without rising from the throne, the King spoke.
“For the shame and dishonor you have brought onto this realm and yourself, and for the disrespect you have shown the realm of the Red Desert, you are hence forth banished from Arcadia, only to return once you have regained your honor.”

The young Prince stood, and gave one last reassuring smile to Fey; He would restore his honor, and see her again.

His father’s pledge took hold and the flames of the surrounding fire-pots erupted and engulfed him in a giant sphere, expelling him from the world of Faery and into the Hedge.
Soul
Soul

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down